Home is Where the Heart Is

Home is Where the Heart Is

Monday, May 17, 2010

Remembering Prissy and Wolfy


    
    







 I am having a really rough night tonight. Mom called me a little while ago to tell me that my childhood pet, Wolfy, had passed away. My brother had just gotten home and found him curled up beside the house...went home to doggy heaven. :-)  It was bittersweet for me, because he had been suffering these past few weeks and has been deaf for the past several months. But still, I got him when I was eight years old and he was there for me through EVERYTHING. I decided to post this on my Craig County blog as well, because when people ask me about my childhood, there are two things that immediately come to mind...my two dogs, and the beautiful landscape surrounding where I used to live. :-)  Never will I ever, ever forget these animals...they knew everything about me. I can remember having horrible days at school sometimes and coming home, forgetting all about my homework, and just running outside and into the woods, Prissy and Wolfy chasing behind me. I would run to my favorite tree, throw myself to the ground and just sob, letting my tears soak the ground until my two best friends came up and nuzzled at me...and then I would hug them and let them soak up my tears instead! *grin*  I can't stop the teardrops now as I write this blog...because it makes my heart ache. I never got to say goodbye to either of them, really. Prissy passed away a few months ago...infact, it was about two months before I gave birth to Noah Whately...and now, poor Wolfy is gone too. :-(  It just hurts so bad to know that I'm growing up and the things that once were have changed, are changing, and will continue to change. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE change for the most part, but it's so hard when it means having to say goodbye. I know that most people who grow up in the country have at least one pet growing up...and if you're like my family, probably much more than one, lol. Our dogs were a part of our family and do you want to know something funny? They even had their own Christmas stockings...and YES, Santa visited them EVERY YEAR....because they were one of the kids too! :-)  This has been really hard on my parents as well....even harder on them than me, because I got married and moved away...so I had in a way already said my goodbye a couple of years ago. It still hurts, knowing he's not going to be there to greet me the next time I drive up the driveway, but we will all get through this. I know it seems silly, getting this upset over a pet, but for those fellow animal lovers out there, you understand! :-)  They become like another member of the family and when they're gone, a small part of your heart goes with them! Please say a prayer for our family this week if you remember...that God will take away our heartache! :-)  For after all, doggy heaven is a much better place than doggy earth!


No comments:

Post a Comment