Home is Where the Heart Is

Home is Where the Heart Is

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Appalachian/Folk Toys

     I took an Appalachian Studies class when I was in Middle School and I loved it so much that when I went to college I took several more classes on Appalachian and Folk Studies. When I was in these classes a major portion of the classes was devoted to discussions of poverty in the Appalachian region and how families coped during these times. They didn't have the money for expensive toys but what they did have were the resources for unique ones. Today's post will include links to some of my favorite websites along with directions on how to make your own folk toy.

Links
1. Mountain Craft Shop Company
2. Foxfire Books  These were some of my very favorite books as a child. I used to love looking up home remedies for ailments...even though some of them kind of freaked me out! :-)
3. The Whirligig

Building Your Very Own Appalachian Toy:  The Whirligig
     The whiligig is a toy that spins...it can be powered by the wind, your hands, or friction powered.

Directions:
To build a button spinner, loop a string or heavy thread through two opposing holes of the button, and tie the ends together. Put the loop over your thumbs with the button hanging. Spin the button around until the strings are completely twisted on both sides. Then pull the strings taut. The button will spin rapidly as the string unwinds. When nearly unwound, release tension, but keep the string relatively straight between the thumbs. The angular momentum of the button will cause the strings to twist again in the opposite direction. As the button slows, pull on the string again and its direction will reverse.[1] (wikipedia.com)

Pictures of Whirligigs:

Wind Powered      












Hand Powered/Friction Powered



No comments:

Post a Comment